April 2, 2012

30 Day Challenge: Day 1

Whatever design's equivalent to writer's block is... that is what I have been in for roughly the last 10 months or so. I've been dutifully working as an interior design intern at an architecture firm downtown in Spokane for a little over a year and, although I have learned many many useful skills and gotten my foot in the interior design industry, I haven't been able to use my creative mind as often as I wish. 

So over the course of the last month or so I have made it my goal to find artistic inspiration around me. Whether it has to do with architecture or nature, photos found on the internet, or fashion, or instagram, I just want to get back in touch with my artistic self. Spokane isn't exactly a mecca of innovative design, but my appreciation for this charming city has helped me to find little neighborhoods and downtown nooks that I have otherwise overlooked. With new eyes (literally, I got Lasik in February) I have found myself slowly creeping out of this black pit of ugliness, and am beginning to see beautiful creations once again! 

My new goal, coupled with this random blog that has no real focus, sparked an idea. Each day, for the next 30 days, I am going to post an image that I have found inspiring or beautiful with the hopes that come May, design will be flowing through my veins once again! 

To kick off day one, here are quite a few images 
that I've been compiling over the last month: 

DAY 1

I am really digging this green hue and am a huge sucker for all the textures found in nature. From the shimmery shells, the smooth pebbles, the asymmetrical pine branch, and the smooth leathery feel of leaves, I find that natural textures are at the base of 
every design I drool over


I adore the eclectic, home-y feel of these shelves. My favorite way to quickly organize is to make stacks of everything: papers, magazines, photos and books..so this look is very realistic to me. And these shelves offer so much personal style! Plus, the raw, unfinished planks are my fav.


The way the organic wing on the right side of this artwork is broken down and mathematically gridded out on the other half is very intriguing to me. It's also sort of creepy. Moving on..



Take risks with design! Usually, the designs that don't seem quite right, or are unexpected are the ones we remember and are inspired by


I love love love me some painting. Love to mix colors on the palette and get really messy with my canvases with layering and pulling paint across the fabric! This picture gets me excited for sunshine, paint, and lazy days by the pool!


As observed by my mom: 
"Kellianne, you're really into this native american pattern thing aren't you?"
I tried to deny it, meanwhile wearing a big turquoise ring, a tshirt with a totem pole print, and holding my iphone encased in this: 

Guilty as charged.

Something about the writing on this lampshade is so appealing to me. I love that it's handwritten and not perfect. And it makes me sort of nostalgic for a time when I daydreamed about having one of those lamps that twirled a design around the dark walls in my room at night


I love this style of print so much that my youngest brother actually bought this for 
me for Christmas. yippee!


I'm already feeling a bit more inspired!









No comments:

Post a Comment